Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

justseyi
      Keymaster

Over the years i have attended quiet a number of churches, and i must say, the house of God has been given more than one face. One of those Sunday’s  during Sunday school, the preacher was teaching us on the issue of divorce….. after many talks, making divorce seem like murder and upholding the sacred position of marriage, a member rose his hand and asked a question. he said he had a friend whose wife left him and remarried  and has been divorced for the past 5 years because his church preached about the sin called divorce. our preacher asked that the question be directed to the senior pastor. i objected and made reference to Matthew 19 vs 9 which states a man or woman can be free from marriage if the other party has committed fornication.

the class ended and the question  was raised in the general review class, the same man narrating his friends ordeal, but to my utmost disbelief the question was not answered! every single person that tried to answer the question was trying to save face, at the end the man didn’t get an answer from the church ministers but from me…. and why because none of them want a situation where it would be said ‘pastor said i can divorce my wife because she fornicated’ they all kept insisting that the affected man should forgive, just as Christ has commanded us, but what use is forgiveness when she is married to someone else.

another issue i would like to point out is the church’s inability to understand that divorce in christian marriage is almost inevitable, but it annoys me that for over 20 years that I’ve been a christian, i have never seen a church sermon, conference for divorced people, singles have their programs to prepare them to know what and how to be a good spouse, newly weds have their own share to teach them tolerance, but the church is making little or no effort to help divorced women and men  settle back in the society, instead the church brands such people as hell bound.

Stereotyping shouldn’t be found in the church, i hope that sharing this post or changing your mind regarding divorce, the church would create room for divorced people, they need to know that remarrying isn’t going to get them to hell.

•poet•book worm•proud Villager• •jesus culture•

• #6960 Reply

irebami
      Participant

???????? why do you think some deranged married people kill each other? So they could be free from the other without ‘divorcing’ and not be a social outcast. I doubt most churches understand the scripture well. Most just drag it down to their understanding or to suit their selfish needs but not what Christ meant it to be. Such a pity humanity never gave Christ the chance to complete his mission. Shouldn’t this tell churches we have so much to learn. Even his disciples couldn’t have learnt everything from him. Its better to sit and reflect on what we think we know than spreading heresy.

• #6961 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

Thank you.

•poet•book worm•proud Villager• •jesus culture•

• #7050 Reply

merciboku
      Participant

Yes, once the singles are lectured and prepared before getting involved with anything marriage, there will be no or less divorce. The forgiving aspect, if a man sees that his wife is always “its fine darling, I have forgiven you” he will continue threading on the path of unfaithfulness. It is not as if shes dumb or daft, shes only trying to keep herself committed to the vow she made. Christ had done enough teaching on divorce, we should use them. In Church, when you ask your teacher a question He/She doesn’t have much understanding on, they end up saying “we will treat that in our next lesson” and when the time comes, they simply give excuse of  “we have have to round off this manual as soon as possible”. Its is well even at the verge of divorce.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: THE CHURCH AND ITS DOUBLE STANDARDS

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: