Home Forums GENERAL DISCUSSIONS What’s the ideal age to tell a child they are adopted

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

justseyi
      Keymaster

Most times in the movies we see kids venting about being told too late or too early that they are adopted. So what do you think?

•poet•book worm•proud Villager• •jesus culture•

• #3805 Reply

bibiiee
      Participant

Thinking after the child has a family of his or her own… That way there’s less concern.

• Nigerian
      • Artist
      • Beauty and fashion Enthusiast

• #3806 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

left to me, when they are mature enough to know and by MATURE i don’t mean age.

• #3812 Reply

bibiiee
        Participant

So when do you know when they are mature enough?

• Nigerian
        • Artist

• #3814 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

That’s left for the folks to decide

• #3825 Reply

bibiiee
        Participant

And if it doesn’t turn out the way they expected thinking they were mature enough??

• Nigerian
        • Artist

• #3807 Reply

cyrilo
      Participant

Yap i agree with yhu @ justseyi …i think maturity should be d keyword there nt age..the supposed parent should knw when d child is matured enough to handle such..

• #3813 Reply

bibiiee
      Participant

Its really hard to know how one would react to that… Its a different situation that affects people differently despite maturity.

• Nigerian
      • Artist

• #3815 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

True. But most times the immature ones (not being negative towards them) go into depression and sometimes commit suicide

• #3816 Reply

antua
      Participant

There’s no certain maturity age for individuals. The issue of adoption is seriously tearing families apart.
      Left for me to say, a child above 18years of age should know he/she is was adopted and start living with that reality. Waiting for a more advanced stage wouldn’t be wise worse still when the child becomes an adult and discovers by himself.

• #3817 Reply

isaacmendez
      Participant

its not about the age…..let’s take heed, you can tell them once you feel they are ready,they could be adults or teenagers even kids, there are children smarter than their age and understanding,,,, that’s my extrapolation

Online Journalist

• #3819 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

true !!!

• #3818 Reply

oludare
      Participant

Me I personally think they know from the scratch cos once they are all grown and attached to their adoptive parent it would be heartbreaking for them.

• #3820 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

But if this happens. Then the kid starts feeling left out over every correction.

• #3823 Reply

julietta
      Participant
      1. Personally, I think the ideal time for telling a child he was adopted is between the ages of 6-8. By this age, they’re usually well established into their family enough not to feel threatened by learning of their adoption. Plus by this age, I think they should have enough knowledge about adoption itself. Nd also, I don’t think waiting till a child is a teenager is good, as it can damage the child’s self esteem and faith in his parents.
      • #3828 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

fair point. But 6-8 years old ? That’s too young I guess.

• #3826 Reply

bibiiee
      Participant

Now that I’m thinking about it… The child shouldn’t be told atall I mean what’s the point?

• Nigerian
      • Artist

• #3827 Reply

julietta
        Participant

@ bibiiee… But what about the contrast in physical featuresof the child and the family? The child may have been aware of it. And even other outsiders could have pointed it out. Sometimes children who look different from the rest of their family need to be assured that their parents love them and intend to keep them.

• #3830 Reply

bibiiee
      Participant

@julietta The fact that the child has been adopted and brought up right(or still in the process) in the first place is enough assurance for a reasonable child that he/she is being loved… When the child is aware of the contrast and decides to make enquiries about it then the child wants to know and if the child doesn’t ask then the child is comfortable and has absolutely no reason to want to find out. Children start having issues and need reassurance when they are not treated right.

• Nigerian
      • Artist

• #3849 Reply

justseyi
        Keymaster

True !!

• #3858 Reply

iamecter

For me I’ll rather not tell the child anything. No child wants to be told they are adopted. You adopted them because you made a decision to be their parent. What’s the point when they realise they are adopted? ???? if you must tell them. Tell them from scratch

• #3878 Reply

bibiiee
        Participant

Exactly!!

• Nigerian
        • Artist

Viewing 10 reply threads
Reply To: What’s the ideal age to tell a child they are adopted

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: